Gould 0738

Default When You Hear The Heavy Accent & The Poor Phone Connection... HANG UP!! (somewhat off topic)

When our government QUITs letting illegal people remain here and QUITs
letting more in, and QUITs giving tax breaks to corporations moving
operations overseas and STARTs imposing high excise taxes on import ...THEN
you'll see American speaking English and working American jobs. There is no
good political party anymore ...was there ever?

Brian

We'll see people speaking English?
Contemplate for only a moment how and why English exists in the first place.
It's a
******* tongue built from scraps of Latin, Celtic, Saxon, Greek, German,
French, Norse, etc. "English" has changed more in the last 250 years than since
the 10th, 11th, or whatever century one could say we began to see a language
that roughly resembles English as we currently understand it.

English features one of the most extensive and complex vocabularies in
contemporary use. (If I recall correctly, we have 2-3 times as many words in
the lexicon as some other romance languages with Latin heritages.).

The result: our language is one of the most admired throughout the world. It is
an excellent written language, as there is less need to hear vocal inflection
to distinguish between conflicting meanings of words. Our language structure
allows us to define our exact meaning with modification and context, rather
than hand gestures or intonation.

We should embrace the foreign speakers, and see what they can bring to our
fabulous English smorgasbord. If we close our language to the inclusion of new
ideas, it will shrink. English has become what it is (and what people hope to
preserve) precisely by including additional languages. The presence of foreign
languages in our midst enhances, rather than detracts, from the rich body of
the English language.

I say, "bring 'em on!" (oops...somebody else recently made that line
famous)....

Sorry for the off topic rant......bad habit left over from an old newsgroup!