Default It isn't fair. How about posthumous knighthood for Eric Hiscock.

"Bruce" wrote in message
On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 09:25:58 -0000, "Dennis Pogson"
wrote:

"Andy Champ" wrote in message
t.uk...
On 31/01/2011 10:18, Dennis Pogson wrote:
Whilst Hiscock's books make wonderful reading, it seems you have to
RACE
in order to be classed a sportsman.

I hadn't even _heard_ of Hiscock. The name "Wanderer" to me means Frank
Dye.

But when I looked on my shelves last night to see who got knighted the
first thing I saw was "My Lively Lady". By SIR Alec Rose. No racer he.

Andy

Sir Alec Rose did take part in a round-the world race against Sir Francis
Chichester and became famous largely on account of this. I met Sir Alec in
'68 or thereabouts, and a more charming and unassuming man would be hard
imagine. Must less crusty than Chichester.

Hiscock's "fame" was on account of the excellent cruising books he wrote,
but as he seemed to spend much time out of this country, perhaps he never
quite impressed the powers-that-be as a potential knight of the realm.

The whole honours system is a farce anyway. During my firm's annual
holiday
closure, I would often answer the 'phone by suffixing my name with OBE,
and
when the caller would query this, I would explain that it meant "only
bugger
'ere!".

Dennis.

I have read that the Hiscock's were the only, or at least the first,
couple that supported themselves solely by writing about
sailing/cruising.

Cheers,

Bruce

That's admirable. And, it's something few people can do because they lack
the necessary, hands-on sailing experience, Bruce. Hint hint.

Wilbur Hubbard