Bruce[_3_] Bruce[_3_] is offline

Default Cannibal

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 22:43:58 +0000, Justin C
wrote:

In article , Bruce wrote:
On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 00:43:08 +0000, Justin C
wrote:

Just a small point. Eric Hiscock was never knighted and therefore is not
entitled to the title Sir. He (and his wife) were awarded the MBE, but
that does not bestow a title.

Justin.

It is difficult for outsiders, remember that wogs start at Calais, to
understand the British honors system.

No, that's 'frogs'.

I blush to argue but the saying "The wogs begin at Calais" was
originated by George Wigg, Labour MP for Dudley, in 1949. In a
parliamentary debate concerning the Burmese, Wigg shouted at the Tory
benches, "The Honourable Gentleman and his friends think they are all
'wogs'. Indeed, the Right Honourable Member for Woodford [i.e. Winston
Churchill] thinks that the 'wogs' begin at Calais.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wog

(Particularly one that was said to have originated with someone
recovering a garter (:-)
Cheers,

T'weren't easy for me to work out either, I just started by looking up
EH on Wikipedia, then I had to start with the whole honours thing. Fkin
can of worms that was. Elton John a 'Sir'?! Yet someone like EH, who
actually *did* something.... oh, let's just not go there.

Justin.

Cheers,

Bruce