Bruce[_3_] Bruce[_3_] is offline

Default Cannibal

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 12:16:05 -0800, Jessica B
wrote:

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 19:09:24 +0700, Bruce
wrote:

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 17:01:49 -0800, Jessica B
wrote:

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 18:38:40 +0700, Bruce
wrote:

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 18:37:26 -0800, Jessica B
wrote:

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 08:47:36 +0700, Bruce
wrote:

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 11:39:35 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
news:nbm2k6pn6j6ktvnj0fbr0rcld6g9sclibf@4ax .com...
snippage

Given that I have lived for more than half of my life in Asia I wonder
where you came up with your misconception that I ever intended to go
further.

You expect me to believe your goal was a Bangkok backwater? Yah, right!

But of course you don't have misconceptions you simply make it up,
unfortunately your blathering is simply "ignorance in action'.

Wilbur: The proper length for your dinghy oars is short enough to fit
inside the boat.

ONE of the attributes of a proper-length dinghy oar is that it fits into the
length of the dinghy. Get a clue and stop twisting my words.

I hadn't believed that you were actually as stupid as you just proved
yourself. I guess that proves that you should never underrate your
opponents abilities.

The "attribute" of an oar is that it reaches the water..... (Oars
originated for, and are still used today, as a devise to propel a boat
(through the water). Certainly it may have other attributes such as
weight, shape of blade, material of which it is made, etc, but fitting
inside the boat is not one of them.

Your argument is about as logical as saying that the mast should not
be longer then the length of the cockpit....because that
is where you want to keep it when you aren't using the sails.

Cheers,

Bruce

Ok... dumb question time... if the oar doesn't fit in the boat, what
the heck do you do with it when you're done using it? If you just
leave it hanging out, it seems to me it would get torn off or damaged.

Go down to the harbor and have a look at any row boats that may be
around... or visit a collage and have a look in their boat houses...
Or google "correct oar length". Do you see any of them recommend that
ability to store inside the boat as an important factor in sizing
them.

Kind of like special ordering an outboard engine with a 12 inch
shaft... cause that is the size of the locker you plan to store it in.

Cheers,

Bruce

This was the first link for dinghy oar length with a google search...

http://www.answers.com/topic/dinghy-oars

"the typical yacht tender of 7 to 9 feet (2.1 to 2.7 m), they should
be about 6 feet (1.8 m) long"

Yes, you can go to the web and get fallacious answer or you could do a
bit more study and come up with something like
http://www.woodenboat.net.nz/Boats/Oarchoice.html
to see what people who actually row boats think about generalizations
regarding oar length. I might add that people who are serious about
paddling canoes take as much care in choosing their paddles as an
oarsman takes in choosing his oars.

The difference is between the week-end dilettante and the individual
that actually rows a boat.

Cheers,

Bruce

Well, it seems like the guy who wrote this is talking about a
different sort of rowing. There are sculling rowers out there who have
oars that are very, very long. So what? Are you planning on towing one
of those?

I don't know who you're calling a dilettante, but if you're talking
about Wil, I think he's being pretty logical about it. If you're
talking about me, I've never made any claim to know much about boats
(or rowing for that matter). I do know about logical thought, and he
seems to be thinking it.

Firstly, the article I provided the link for was by a bloke in N.Z.
who is building a rowing boat, not a racing shell... Quite a
difference. The point was to demonstrate that oars are a bit more
complex then just a "they gotta fit in the boat" specification.

I wasn't specifically referring to anyone when I used the words
"weekend dilettante". I was simply referring to those who spend their
time (on Sunday) sailing in the bay, and have all the toys.

Cheers,

Bruce