Steven Shelikoff

Default Best 34 foot blue water cruiser

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 19:18:48 GMT, Rosalie B.
wrote:

x-no-archive:yes

(JAXAshby) wrote:

grandma, I thought the context was that 200 miles were typical, average and
could be planned on. sorry that I didn't include that in the statement. Yes,
high mileage days can be had, but are not typical.

I'm saying that in any kind of speedy boat that they ARE pretty
average. Yes sometimes you don't have any wind and you won't be able
to do that much. LIke in our case in a non-speedy boat, we did only
about 160 nm but without much if any wind. And sometimes you'll have
a contrary wind and sometimes too much wind.

We did 60 some nm coming up from Marathon Monday in 13 hours coming
against a contrary wind - mostly about 30 degrees from our heading.
This is way more than we usually do because we mostly travel during
daylight hours and not offshore. OTOH we did 92 nm from West End to
Ft. Pierce in about the same length of time.

So for OUR boat, 200 nm days would not be average or typical. But for
most of the boats that you guys are advocating whilst kind of looking
down your noses at how slow our fat old tub is - I think 200 nm is
kind of a nice easy way to calculate your projected trip.

With my boat, which isn't particularly fast, when planning a trip I
usually use a 5 knot speed of advance toward the destination which takes
into account windy days, calm days, good direction and bad. For the
trips I've done, that's worked out to be a very good average estimate.

That's 120nm for a 24 hour day for the math challenged.

Steve4