JAXAshby

Default Best 34 foot blue water cruiser

grandma, I thought the context was that 200 miles were typical, average and
could be planned on. sorry that I didn't include that in the statement. Yes,
high mileage days can be had, but are not typical.

The myth of 200 mile days as typical is just a myth.

============================================== =

I have sailed more 200 mile days than I can remember but for the most
part they were on large, well equipped racing boats over 40 feet. All
you need is a day of good reaching conditions where you can average a
bit over 8 knots. Not that difficult on a good boat, you just need
the right conditions.

At the risk of creating consternation, I do not believe that a 200
mile day is a myth, assuming we are talking about a 24 hour day. We
did 168 nm in a day and we were only motor sailing in a slow old
sailboat. If we'd had any appreciable wind and hadn't had to struggle
in the inlet against a lot of current we'd have done it quicker.

grandma Rosalie