JimB

Default Thrust vectoring

Jere Lull wrote in message
In article

.net,
otnmbrd wrote:

I don't think you're simply talking about the wash over the

rudder. That
is clearly thrust vectoring, but should be easy enough to

explain as
"kicking the ass over".

I like Jere's approach. It correctly describes both phenomena you
get using rudder with power; first, a rotation, secondly, a
lateral movement.

When teaching, I've found it useful to separate the two
phenomena.

First, how to point the boat. If you're static, that's using one
engine ahead and one astern to swivel around a point with rudder
neutral. If you're moving forward significantly (or aft) that's
using rudder or differential engine to steer.

Second, how to shift the boat (or part of it) bodily sideways.
That's using wind, and/or prop walk, and/or power with rudder
(the other engine being used to control the degree of fore/aft
movement), and/or bow thruster. The last three I certainly
understand as 'thrust vectoring' (I'm familiar with the term as
an ex VTOL pilot, and most numerate people would be OK with
'vectoring').

When teaching, though, I'd test my pupil's understanding of the
phrase before using it. After all, the student may be numerate -
as an accountant - rather than a physics major. And 'kicking ass'
does have a nice ring to it . . .

JimB, Yacht Rapaz, sadly, for sale to buy that nice new Greek
house:
http://www.homepage.ntlworld.com/jim...cification.htm