Jere Lull

Default Thrust vectoring

In article .net,
otnmbrd wrote:

For years, on occasion, I've have been involved with teaching someone
boat handling, using single and/or twin screw inboards.
Naturally, (especially on twin screw+) the issue of rudder use arises (
from here we will consider this a twin screw+ discussion).
So that everyone knows, I am a STRONG proponent of rudder use, but I
understand many of the arguments against (G just don't agree with all
of them or feel the argument doesn't really address the issue).
In all of my discussions, I have had a problem with the term "steering",
as in "the boats moving too slow to steer with rudders", or "rudders are
not effective at these speeds".
At any rate, I knew I was never able to explain my point clearly and
concisely.
Recently, for some unknown reason, I remembered a TV show on jet
fighters which discussed (I believe) thrust vectoring, and it dawned on
me that this may be just the term to describe what I am trying to get
across to those I am teaching.
With this in mind, for those with twin screw boats, if I told you that
rudders were important tools of boat handling, but not to be considered
for steering, rather for "thrust vectoring", when maneuvering around a
dock, etc., when kicking an engine ahead, both positive and negative
...... would you understand what I was saying?

otn

I believe I know what you're talking about, having learned how to "walk"
a cat sidewards (using prop wash against rudder, and prop walk from the
reversed engine) but I don't think I would understand "thrust vectoring"
in that context unless I'd done it. It IS, to a certain extent, of
course.

Then again, I may be thinking too far in advance. If you're talking
about swinging the bow about, I am thinking "torque" or possibly
"balanced (or imbalanced) opposing forces".

I don't think you're simply talking about the wash over the rudder. That
is clearly thrust vectoring, but should be easy enough to explain as
"kicking the ass over".

--
Jere Lull