Jack. Jack. is offline

Default I suspect "cabin fever" is to blame

On Jan 17, 6:39*pm, "Califbill" wrote:
"I am Tosk" *wrote in l-september.org...

In article cee50221-872b-450d-a446-9c59166b96d2@
29g2000yqq.googlegroups.com, says...

On Jan 16, 1:26 pm, Harryk wrote:
The manual is silent on how much you open the gas valve on the tank. I
opened it all the way and then shut it off when the "test" was finished.

You should always open the valve all the way on an LP tank. *They are
designed with a "back-seat", which seals the valve stem when openend.
If you partially open it, gas can leak from the stem.

Wow, I did not know that.. I never seat anything unless I need to.

--
Rowdy Mouse Racing - Pain is temporary, Glory is forever!

Reply:
TOTALLY WRONG!!!! *Crack the valve about 1/4 turn. *Same with all flammable
gas cylinders. *O2, Argon etc. that are high pressure and inert have back
seals. *You want to be able to turn the tank off quickly if there is a leak
or fire. *Take any welding class and you will learn about gas safety.
Propane is a lot safer than a lot of the flammable gas as it is a liquid
under pressure and therefore is at a lot lower pressure in the tank.
Acetylene is a higher pressure in the tank but is in solution in acetone (I
think that is the liquid) as acetylene will self ignite explosively at a
fairly low pressure.

From the Weber website:

Cart Based Models
* Close the LP tank valve
* Turn all burner control knobs to the OFF position
* Open the grill lid
* Turn the LP tank valve until it is completely open
* Wait several seconds
* Turn the front burner to the HI/Start position
* Press the igniter until the burner is lit.
* Turn remaining burners to High
* Close the lid.
* The grill should preheat to 500-550 degrees in 10-15 minutes

As you point out, LP is not the same as acetylene.