Frogwatch[_2_] Frogwatch[_2_] is offline

Default Weird group dynamics on a sailing trip

On Jan 16, 8:29*pm, Wayne.B wrote:
On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 07:24:40 -0800 (PST), Frogwatch

wrote:
We did not tow the dinghy long enough to know how much it slowed us.

On my old Cal-34 we used to estimate that the dinghy slowed us
somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 knot. *Even with our trawler which has
tons of weight and a lot of power, we think the dinghy slows us by 1
or 2 tenths. * At 6 or 7 kts the dinghy is leaving a bigger wake than
the trawler.

There was a woman who was supposed to go with us. This had my wife
very unhappy to which I replied, "I'm an unattractive 54 yr old guy
with poor social skills whereas there are two single younger guys on
the trip who would be considered much nicer than me". This did not
placate her but fortunately, the woman cancelled at last minute.