Tim Tim is offline

Default Dinghy experiment #5

On Jan 16, 8:15*pm, I am Tosk wrote:
In article 4beef925-58c7-42d2-9e17-
, says...

On Jan 16, 7:22*pm, Wayne.B wrote:
On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 17:53:37 -0500, Harryk
wrote:

On 1/16/11 5:47 PM, Frogwatch wrote:
The nesting dinghy was a PITA that constantly snagged jib sheets and
filled with water when towed. *So, I gave it away.
So, next experiment, an 8' Porta-Bote I am looking at on Craigslist
and will get a 2.5 hp motor for.

So far I have tried:

an 8' Nautilus dinghy--------Far too heavy. *Gave it away
a Sevylor inflatable. * It was crap
an inflatable kayak. *It was crap but wore it out.
the nesting 2-Paw-9 dinghy, home built. * * Snags sheets and does not
tow well. *Gave it away.

Well, you could always get yourself a proper dinghy. Of course, I don't
know what you mean by too heavy. The Dyer Dhow weighs about 100 pounds,
and is about as nice a hard-sided dink you can get.

http://www.dyerboats.com/dyer_dhow.html

They've been around a long, long time.

We're down in Key West right now amidst a rather eclectic collection
of serious cruisers and liveaboards. * The dinghy choice seems to be
evenly split between RIBs in the 10 to 12 ft range and ratty old
Carolina Skiffs of about 12 to 13 ft. * The liveaboards mostly favor
the ratty skiffs.

In addition to a couple of RIBs (carrying only one), we also own an
old inflatable Avon with the roll up aluminum floor and hard transom.
The roll up Avon gave us a lot of good service aboard several
different sailboats. *We also took it on a lot of road trips in the
back of a Dodge caravan. *With a 15 horse Merc it will plane 3 or 4
people.

Wayne i was going to suggest jsut something like that for Frog's use.
Of course I dont' knwo the situation but with all his experimenting,
would it be practical to carry a flattened *inflatable, and a battery
operated electric ( or even a manual) air pump and inflate it when
necessary? *I'd think it would beat having the thing inflated and
getting in the way of things

I keep a lung backup, but for inflatables I have an Ozark Mtn. electric
pump for my Matresses. They plug in to the wall or car, and recharge off
them. The thing will run for a half hour or more on a charge. They are
small, about the size of a big camera, and store easily... It would
probably blow up an Avon twice on one good charge...

--
Rowdy Mouse Racing - Pain is temporary, Glory is forever!

That's kinda what i was thinking.