L G[_15_] L G[_15_] is offline

Default Mac26 as a cruising boat

YukonBound wrote:

"John H" wrote in message
On Sat, 15 Jan 2011 05:43:24 -0500, Wayne.B

wrote:

On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 09:38:57 -0800 (PST), Frogwatch
wrote:

On Jan 14, 10:45 am, Wayne.B wrote:
On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 19:33:48 -0500, John H
wrote:

Looks like that boat's made to take the seas!

http://www.macgregor26.com/index/gale_2_min.htm

Not really. Take another look at that video and notice that the
seas
are large but not breaking. That's because they are mature deep
water waves that have reached full height for the wind conditions,
and
are not being impacted by current or shoaling conditions. That's the
difference between windy but relatively benign conditions, and what
you would encounter in a rapid onset Gulf Stream squall. I have
flown
over the Gulf Stream on days when the wind is blowing hard from the
north against the current. You can see the waves breaking from
30,000 feet in the air, and that's about as close as you'd want to
get.

When I say beaching, I mean beaching in a place with protected shallow
water where a deep draft boat cannot go.
Furthermore, even with no motor, this boat is safer than most other
powerboats without a motor as it has ballast so will not roll over as
easily. It also has a centerboard to help it track true. With its
sails as backup, it is far safer in the Gulf Stream than most
powerboats without sail backup. Although the rigging is light, reefed
sails can be put up. Of course nobody would take such a boat across
in 30 kt winds but she would do well in such anyway.

During the summer (thunderstorm) months you can find yourself in 40 to
60 knot winds on the Gulf Stream with almost no warning. Experienced
east coast boaters like to head east before sunrise to minimize their
chances of being caught by a storm during the crossing.

In order to beach a Mac 26 I believe you need to punp out the water
ballast. It is very unstable without ballast and has been known to
capsize with no sails up at all. No thanks.

OK, OK! My wife didn't like the idea of me having another boat anyway.

Damn.

Stay the hell away from sailboats. You are no sailor.

This is from Captain Don of the SS Yukon with the mighty 25HP tiller
steer motor!