Tim Tim is offline

Default Weird group dynamics on a sailing trip

On Jan 15, 6:51*pm, Frogwatch wrote:
HAving just completed a great sailing trip with 4 men on a small (28')
sailboat, I am still amazed at how it went. *NO arguing or tension, no
feelings of lack of personal space, general agreement on most things
and we parted as good friends. *HOW is this possible? *It amazes me so
much that I have puzzled over it for days.
Consider: *Person A, myself, extreme introvert who is self confident
in all techie matters but not so much in people things.
Person B. *Another introvert, even more than myself
Person C. *Less introverted than A or B but still on the introverted
side.
Person D. *EXTREME extrovert. *Never stops talking and constantly
makes jokes about everything.

Being the boat owner, having far more sailing experience than the
others and being oldest, I was clearly captain on the water. *While
ashore, I relinquished responsibility to Person D most of the time.
All of the group except Person C were cavers so tend to be self
sufficient.
I maintain that Person D was the critical component in maintaining
group harmony but am not sure why.
This experience will certainly cause me to evaluate groups before
future trips. *I had actually been sorta dreading the enforced
closeness *but miss the group now that it is over.

Interesting what you can find out about people when you're cooped up
with them for a few days. But it sounds like you had a great trip and
probably made some great friends.

you gonna do it again in the near future?