Wayne.B

Default Best 34 foot blue water cruiser

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 20:38:16 GMT, "Denis Marier"
wrote:

This statement makes sense. I got involved with my 27' sailboat in 40 foot
waves.

I don't think there's a boat of ANY size that will be comfortable in
those conditions. My original statement was made in regard to the
routine 6 to 8 foot waves that are found all of the time in offshore
conditions. It doesn't take a storm, just steady 20 knot winds. Most
small boats turn into a rain forest on a pogo stick after a few days
of beating into that. I have been on a well made 48 footer that
wasn't much better, and on a 50 footer that was taking green water
over the deck every 7 or 8 waves. Not storm conditions, just normal
waves in average windy weather, the kind that you get with every
frontal passage. Most coastal cruisers have no idea what it's like to
do that for 2 or 3 days in a row, sailing around the clock. It's
tough on the equipment and tough on the people.