Tim Tim is offline

Default might enter the 21st century

On Jan 12, 8:00*pm, Harryk wrote:
On 1/12/11 8:58 PM, Tim wrote:

On Jan 12, 3:49 pm, *wrote:
On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 13:05:58 -0800 (PST), Frogwatch

*wrote:
OK, I am impressed by having charts displayed on a computer with gps
position overlaid onto the display, ie, using a computer as a chart
plotter. *One of the guys aboard had this and it was nice to see. *I
still hand plot lat and lon on my paper charts which requires I go
below in nasty chop to do so. *So, now the question is: *Use my
existing subnotebook or buy a tablet type PC for this?

My choice would be driven by the easiest to secure, enter data into,
and read the screen....

--
It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are
enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Oak Island, NC.

Homepage
* http://pamandgene.tranquilrefuge.net/boating/the_boat/my_boat.htm

Fort Agent 6.00 Build 1186

agreed! The simpler the better. *But what do i know? I'm not a hi-tech
kinda guy anyhow.

Most laptops don't do well in the open cockpits of boats...glare, spray,
the chance of being dropped. I'd go for a good GPS chartplotter with a
big screen.

Well, that's probably true, but I'm a lake boater that will be ont he
Ohio river this coming spring and i probably don't need anything
stupendous. if at all, except for something that can point out known
sand bars and restricted areas will poor marking. my wife has a
standard Garmin which I think there is a marine version as well. But
older yet usable laptops seem to be popping up a dime a dozen and a
person can download lots of trip stuff on it besides plotting a course
(on a river?) if need be. plus, logging the trip, and if by chance it
goes overboard. well... disappointing but nothing really lost.

at least that's the way I look at it.