Dan Best

Default Best 34 foot blue water cruiser

One of the best features my double ender, a Tayana 37, is its' tight and
secure small cockpit. When I settle into it on a warm summer night,
there is no better feeling.

I think I'd better stop. I'm starting to excite myself.

Fair winds - Dan Best

Matt/Meribeth Pedersen wrote:
"Frank Maier" wrote in message
om...

DSK wrote :
...snip...

BTW I noticed that nobody has yet mentioned "small cockpits" or
recommended double enders...

After all that worthwhile discussion, there you go starting ****
again! grin

You're incorrigible. Couldn't we discuss double entendres, instead? IF
we did that, I'll bet we could somehow work in the phrase "small
cockpit."

Frank

Great idea. I love the Southern Cross 31 (although I think
it could use a little more stick), and the SC39 is a nice boat.
The Valiant 40 is a great all round cruising boat (so is the
Esprit 37). Both are really well mannered. Bob Perry
owned and raced a 37 for a number of years and got
killed by a well sailed Cal 33 with a gift rating, but hey
they had fun.

I could go for a Tayana 37 as a cruising boat (the ketch rig
on this design is better than a cutter, as much as it pains me
to say it). If your tastes for teak run higher there is always the
Tashiba/Baba/Tayanas. And don't forget the Fast Passage 39.

Are we going to talk about the Moses theory of a double
ender parting the waves? Actually, they typically do have
good balance between fore and aft volume, so that should help
in running off. But, if you're being overtaken by an eight foot
breaking sea I don't think it matters what the stern shape
looks like, your boots are going to get wet.

The Norwegians came up with the seaworthy
double ender for their pilot boats (I was going to type
Redniskote but I'm sure I'd spell it wrong). But it's interesting
that the British, under nearly identical sea conditions came up
with their plumb stemmed, long waterline cutters for their
pilot service. I guess that just goes to show you that a good
boat is a good boat, no matter what her fanny looks like.

Oh, and as for small cockpits, I've always thought that it's
easier to remedy a too big cockpit than a too small one.
Whatever you do, don't forget to put big drains in.

Matt

--
Dan Best - (707) 431-1662, Healdsburg, CA 95448
B-2/75 1977-1979