N1CK5 N1CK5 is offline
Junior Member

Default Evinrude throttle control difficult to get into neutral

I have a 115 hp evinrude outboard. I couldn't be sure, but i reckon its 30-35 years old.

For some time, it has been extremely difficult getting it into neutral at all times. (No difference between being in water, or on the trailer).

If i play with the handle and shift it repetitively from forward to reverse, i can eventually "find" neutral. However, if simply sitting locked in the neutral position, 99 times out of 100, i won't be able to start the boat.

I assume that something is loose inside the throttle control handle (Not sure of the actual name - i'm new to this whole thing)

Any help would be greatle appreciated.