Default How is that Tohatsu workign out

"goofball_star_dot_etal" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 02/01/2011 03:00, MMC wrote:

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...

It starts very easy and it idles smoothly and the complaint about the
steering damper not holding it in place seems not to apply to mine. It
stays
pretty much where I put it using the knob-type steering detent on the
rear
of the motor and it's not even screwed down very hard.

The steering damper looks like this:
http://www.wareing77.plus.com/images/IMGP0229.JPG
It works in a similar way to a hose clip. A stainlees steel band is
tensioned around a shaft by tightening up on the threaded part while the
other end is a tab located in a slot in the casting, next to the screw
hole. In my case the thread bottomed out before it was tight enough to
avoid creaping when idling. Possible causes are too much grease. band too
long compared to the circumference of the shaft, or overtightening by
myself. I have just bent the tab a little and it seems to have improved..

Wilbur Hubbard
=====
Thanks Wilbur.
Is there any problem with keeping these (I don't know 4 strokes) motors
tilted out of the water when not in use? Particularly with the oil being
in a pan? My Morgan has a cut out in the center of the transom for the
outboard like the second pic in this ad:
http://www.sailingtexas.com/smorgan25101.html

When stored horizontal you are supposed to turn it so the gear lever is
uppermost, it does not say why. Probably not an issue when just tilted on
the boat.

Thanks for the revealing photo. I think your 'too much grease' hypothesis is
probably spot on. For that very reason I did not grease my zerk fittings at
all believing they probably put what was needed in at the factory. Seems to
me no grease at all around the circumference of the detent sleeve would be
the best way to maintain the adequate friction so it didn't twist on its
own.

--
Gregory Hall