engsol

Default Volvo Penta MD17C request for raw waterpump rebuild tips

On 15 Mar 2004 11:33:19 -0800, (Ronald) wrote:

Hi all!

I have a leaking raw water pump on my Volvo Penta MD17C. I've replaced
the front plate gasket already, but that did not help.. After a more
close inspection, I saw that the water is coming from behind the
impeller housing.. I've called around to see how much this is going
to cost me for someone do it for me... it didn't look good.

I've decided to pull the pump off myself. I already ordered all the
parts I need: new shaft, 1 water seal, 1 oil seal, new face-plate
gasket.. Impeller.. $50 worth of stuff..

Is there anybody who did this before? Do you have tips?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you,
Ronald.

A couple of people have suggested using grease as a "gasket sealer".
During my old hot-rod days we used stuff like Perma-Tex(?)...a goopy
high temp gasket sealer. Is there a reason this isn't recommended for
marine use?
Norm