Don White

Default power vs sail

O:P) wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
I am playing with the idea of a boat. I'm new to boating. What would you
folks recommend, power or sail? Do I need extra skills for sail boats?

One
more question, do I need a license? and if yes, where do I get it? I'm in
Toronto.

Unless you feel the 'need for speed', I'd go sail. After all, half the fun
is getting there, not to mention the sound of the water against your
hull/wind in your rigging etc.
Newer 4 cycle outboards are getting a lot quieter and fresher smelling so
the difference isn't as drastic as on an older boat with a large 2 cycle
infernal engine.

As for courses, I'd recommend the Canadian Power & Sail Squadron. Take the
'boating Course' which is a good start and
will give you your operators card. (compulsory by 2009).
Next, I'd look for a keelboat course at a local yacht club/marina.
From what I've seen on the internet, Toronto is a good place to sail..with
lots of clubs and a good choice of 2nd hand boats.
Don't forget about the lakes north of you.
I have a trip planned up your way in May to shop for a 19' trailerable
mini-cruiser. If you see any good ones...let me know.