Charles T. Low

Default power vs sail

Wow - that's a little like saying I would like some place to live, should I
choose an apartment or a house or a condo or a cottage or a mobile home or
trailer, or cardboard box in a ditch, with or without covered parking, one
bedroom or six, maybe a fireplace, what type of heating, rural or urban...
you get my drift.

However, the important thing is that boating is the most important activity
in the world, so you're on the right track.

Licensing in Canada is federal, not provincial, so it's the same everywhere
in the country. (Actually, not quite the same - there are exceptions for
some northern regions). It depends i) how old you are vs. what power the
boat has and ii) how long it is. Those are two separate, unrelated
requirements - if either apply, you need a "card" - they're actually quite
careful _not_ to call it a licence. The regs are he
www.ccg-gcc.gc.ca/obs-bsn/sbg-gsn/age_e.htm and
www.ccg-gcc.gc.ca/obs-bsn/courses_e.htm.

I'm a proponent of the card whether you need it legally or not, but that's a
controversial issue. Check www.boatdocking.com/other/Licence.html.

Your general questions fit in well here or on rec.boats, and your
specifically Canadian ones could also go to can.rec.boating. Tell a little
more about yourself and about why boating interests you, for more specific