posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
Paul@BYC[_2_] Paul@BYC[_2_] is offline

Default Very Cool Boat Building Kit

On 12/10/2010 11:13 AM, Wayne.B wrote:
On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 08:14:28 -0500,
wrote:

On 12/10/2010 7:05 AM, Wayne.B wrote:
http://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/n...ng-dinghy.html

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and watch the video. I'm trying
to figure out if it could be scaled up to 18 feet or so and
reassembled in the water.

I don't know about that, but it sure is a pretty little boat. I prefer
the one that doesn't come apart in the middle. I see the site has kits.
I might buy a kit. Thanks!

We have room to store a 12 to 13 foot dinghy on top of the aft cabin
and use an electric hoist to launch it. Weight is an issue, maybe
400 to 500 lbs tops including outboard, fuel, anchor,etc. It looks
like that Chesapeake dinghy separates into roughly 1/3 and 2/3rds of
its length so I'm thinking 18 ft overall might be doable which is a
nice size. I'd have to launch it in pieces and reassemble in the
water however.

Well, as a teacher of non-math/science-based liberal arts, my
professorial opinion is that treading water while wrestling 12' and 6'
boat sections together that also have to be bolted might be a heck of a
lot to handle without drowning in the process. If you were successful,
though, it would make a terrific video. I'd buy a copy.

Curious, though, as to why you need an 18' semi-portable boat?