posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Default The Ultimate Alternator Project

On Nov 23, 12:24*am, I am Tosk
wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 11:21:39 -0500, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

Nice pix.

I'd be worried, however, about all the washers for depth. *Not possible to
build in a bend to the tightening arm to bring it flush to the alternator?

It's possible but I'd need to disassemble part of the heat exchanger
to remove the adjusment arm, bend it and reinstall. *What I've done
since the pictures were taken is to replace the washer stack with a
solid steel spacer. * I've also replaced the original bolt with one
that is longer so that it now projects all the way through the
adjusment tab on the alternator, backed up by a grade 8 steel washer,
lock washer and nut. * The whole assembly is extremely rigid with no
hint of vibration or flexing.

Sounds like a better solution, of course keep an eye on it and I would
carry an extra bolt and spacer, washer, etc... Just in case.

--
Rowdy Mouse Racing - Pain is temporary, Glory is forever!- Hide quoted text -

It's not the bolt that will go. If it fails it will be the tongue on
the alternator case that breaks. I have to agree that it looks like
it would be ok though. A couple bends in the arm would be perfect but
if you have to do a bunch of disassembly to get the arm off I can see
wanting to avoid that. Looks like there is too much other stuff in
there to heat and bend the arm in place.