Stephen Trapani

Default Advice about '68 Newport 30'?

Frank Maier wrote:

Stephen Trapani wrote...

Thanks to all for your replies. In case anyone is still interested in
helping further let me add: If all goes well, I'll never get out of
Puget Sound with the boat I get, so perhaps seaworthiness is not the
hugest concern? Crusing comfort for my family and liveaboardness for
weekends/week at a time are my chief concerns, I guess (two boys seven
and eight). Like, I think i want to get an inverter and a better heater
than it has (solid fuel).

I looked for all the boats recommended here by Trent and can find none
of them for sale within 500 miles, in my price range. My sailing buddy
specifically told me Newports were a better class of boat, was he
whacked? I am more interested in being able to get my money back out of
the boat in ten years or so when I move up in boats, if I put some elbow
grease and upgrades into it. Pie in the sky dreaming with this boat?

I went and looked at this '68 Newport yesterday and I like the
roominess. It needs some cleaning, the deck needs painting. The Atomic 4
looks clean. Dodger with a few years left on it. I'll check the sails
better during the sea trial/survey. I put down $635 and made an offer
($6350), contingent on survey and sea trial, so I can still get out of
it. The nearest boat I found to it so far around here was a Buccaneer
30, and supposedly those have a real bad reputation.

Thanks for any more advice!

Stephen

Hiya,

Well, on the one hand, I generally disagree with Trent. I'm not a fan
of heavy displacement "blue-water" (soi disant) boats, per se. Most of
the boats he mentions are too heavy and slow for my taste.

OTOH, I disagree with your friend about Newports. As I said in my
post, they are the worst-built production boats I've ever run across.
They make Catalina look like Nautor-Swan. If you buy it, definitely
double check that hull/deck joint. Like I also said, the design is by
C&C; so they do sail pretty well.

On the third hand, Buccaneer makes Newport look like Nautor-Swan. I'd
say, please don't buy the Bucaneer under any circumstances.

I crewed foredeck on a Newport 28 racing in the Puget Sound area back
in the early 80s and we did race that thing hard. We never managed to
sink it; so you'd probably do just fine cruising the Puget Sound area
in a Newport 30.

I wouldn't really plan on "getting my money out of it" after upgrades,
which cost a lot but don't do much to increase the "value" of your
boat. It's a nasty cheap boat and will continue to depreciate
significantly, IMHO. But, since you're getting it for a pretty good
price, I'd be willing to admit that you shouldn't lose too much on a
future sale.

I haven't checked prices in your interest range lately. Howzabout a
Ranger or a San Juan? Lots of them around the Puget Sound region.

Good luck,

Hey, thanks alot, again. Another friend of mine has been telling me
about a salvaged San Juan 26 I should look at, so I'll do that. And I'll
check the seam between the hull and the deck on the Newport. Come to
think of it there was a leak below on the rear quarterberth when I
looked at it.

Stephen