Matt Colie

Default Universal 18 with low RPM, black smoke, runs hot (over 200) aftermany hours

Sabastian,
First don't put a real @ddress out on the usenet anymore. The spambots
will take over your inbox.

The subject at hand.
I saw the thread start and did not have time to jump in early, but no
matter. Lloyd gave you a really good start and most of the information
in the thread is pretty good.

You give no clue what machanical ability you have available. But, don't
go messing with the injection pump until you have to.

I like his plan a lot, (like he said)
run it up in neutral it should get to 3k
If it doesn't, or if it smokes a bunch doing that - pull injectors first
(cheapest-easiest thing) and get them checked. One injector with a bad
spray pattern will cause all manner of grief.

Good Luck Guy
Matt Colie - 40+years at taking care of someone's engine.

Sebastian wrote:

Our 1986 Catalina 27 with Universal 18 diesel tends to run hot
(although not immediately, takes many hours), has low RPMs (always,
although it ranges between 1750 and 2000 at full throttle), and always
give off some black smoke. Additionally, it appears that there may be
a tiny bit of black oil leaking behind the transon of the boat, but
not a lot. Finally, we get a maximum speed of 4 1/2 or 5 knots in
still water, which seems to be too little...

I am quite new to diesels, so know very little. Can someone recommend
some easy things to check/fix. I've heard black smoke means injectors,
but could that also cause the low RPMs?

Thanks!