Keith

Default Cleaning lines (ropes to the lubbers!)

I've used braided dock lines forever. Now I have floating docks, so I just
keep them all tight, no problem. I also use nothing but black, since it's
the most UV stable color, and doesn't show dirt. I wash them once a year or
so in the washing machine on gentle cycle, warm water, with Woolite (or
cheap Wal-Mart substitute) and use fabric softner. DON'T dry in the dryer,
just hang out or put back in use.

--

Keith
__
"Dave" wrote in message
On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 14:45:34 -0800, "Lloyd Sumpter"
said:

Spring Cleaning time for Far Cove! I usually replace the lines, but
this year money's a bit tight.

Good lord, talk about conspicuous consumption. I don't think I replaced

the
dock lines on my old Islander 24 in the entire 15 years I owned her. Of
course admittedly they didn't get much of a chance to chafe, since a good
part of the time was spent on a mooring rather than at a dock.

Does bring up a question, however. I see that the marine stores seem to

sell
braided nylon lines for tying up to a dock. I've never thought that made
much sense, since my impression is that braided has considerably less
stretch than 3 strand of the same diameter, and I'd prefer to have that
stretch to take up shock and to some extent allow for extraordinary low
tides (not to mention the fact that it's a lot easier to throw an eye

splice
in 3 strand).. What do you folks think?

Dave