beegmaq beegmaq is offline

Default Emma Maresk

On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 12:40:04 -0500, otnmbrd
wrote:

1 TEU is not 20 cubic feet.....it is 20'X 8" X @8". The majority of the
containers you are seeing on deck are probably 40 footers and don't forget
what is stowed below that you can't see

Bob Taylor wrote in
:

It says below "Cargo capacity - 15,000 TEU (1 TEU = 20 cubic feet)"
When I try to count the containers on the ship I see maybe 2000 - 2500
max

That's a lot! When one of the CSX stackers comes by I see maybe 200,
usually a lot less. So that is ten or more trains. A lot.

I would refer you to the following link:
http://www.emma-maersk.com/specification/

which has a lot of general information about the Emma Maersk Class
ships, 8 in all. About half way down the page is a link to an
estimated container carrying capacity. All capacity is listed as
****** TEU's (Twenty foot Equivalent units). Most container ships
carry 2x20 ft or 1x 40 ft in all below deck slots. On deck stowage is
generally 1 x 40 ft per slot with some allowance for 20 ft stacks as
well. Additionally 45 ft and some 48 ft boxes can be carried in the
upper tiers on deck as they have corner posts which will allow
stacking on top of the 40 ft cans.

The speed listed at 31 mph is an incorrect conversion from the listed
speed of 25.5 kts, 27.5 mph is closer to correct.

The Spec page lists ship's power as 109,000 HP on the main engine plus
an additional 40,000 HP fron 5 Catapiller engines. These last 5 units
are connected to alternators to provide power to ships services, bow
and stern thrusters (used in place of tugboats during docking
manouvers) and to provide power for up to 1000 40 ft reefer
containers.

Regards to all,

Dave McNeil
Retired Ch. Engineer