Ed

Default Hand signals for anchoring?

I use a very similar set with my 14 year old daughter (for the last 3
years since she was 11). Only changes....
We have twin inboards so the steering wheel is almost never used in
anchoring or docking....
1) Right hand pointing fwd= engage stbd engine fwd (pointing back...
reverse)
2) Left hand pointing fwd= engage port engine fwd (pointing back...
reverse)
3) same3. clenched fist = neutral (BUT LEFT = PORT ENGINE, RIGHT STBD)
4) Two hands together pointing in a general direction= STEER in that
direction. (typically used when we are finished pulling the anchor and I
want her to head somewhere else until I get to the bridge)
5) Right index finger circling in the air... fire up the engines
(Stolen from aviation hand signals)
6) SAME6. Slash index finger across throat = stop engine

Simple part about this system for twins is that I worry about what the
engines will do to the boat, not the helmsmen. Takes out the guess work
for them.

Jack Dale wrote:
On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 19:17:56 -0500, "Bruce"
wrote:

With your back to the driver :
Steering signals
1. Arm straight to the right = steer to the right
2. Karat chop forward = steer straight
3. Arm 90 vertical = steer left
4. right index spinning in the air = anchor is up, steer on predetermined
course
Speed Signals
1. palm up with an upward movement = speed up
2. Palm down with downward movement = slow down
3. clenched fist = neutral
4. thumb up = forward gear idle speed
5. Thumb down = reverse gear idle speed
6. Slash index finger across throat = stop engine

Great list. Quite intuitive

I would add two.

1) Karate chop aft - steer straight back.

Used after the anchor is on the bottom and you are starting lay out
the rode.

2) Arm straight up - over the anchor, stop any way.

Very useful when the anchor is buried deeply and you have to reverse
to get the anchor out of the bottom. You can then cleat off and use
the steer straight back signal.

Jack

Jack Dale
Swiftsure Sailing Academy