Cindy Ballreich

Default Hand signals for anchoring?

wrote:
Does anybody have a good system of hand signals for anchoring, i.e. a
means for the person on the bow handling the anchor to communicate
speed and direction to the helmsman without having to yell it out?

Our signals mostly use the left hand, bent at the elbow like a
car turn signal. If the hand is not moving, that means no
throttle. Rotating the hand means throttle up a bit. Rotating
faster means more throttle (as when digging in). Pointing with
the right hand means to point the bow in that direction.

arm straight out - neutral
arm down - reverse
arm up - forward
pat the butt - anchor is on the bottom
both arms slashing - we have pull it up and try again
finger across the throat - kill the engine

Most important thing - be patient and never yell.

Cindy

-
the return email is a spam trap
send legit emails to cindy_at_ballreich_dot_net