Califbill Califbill is offline

Default Walmart, real convenience...

"Yogi of Woodstock" wrote in message

On Thu, 4 Nov 2010 09:51:41 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

"HarryK" wrote in message

"Goldie" Goldfarb himself is long gone...he was an old man when I knew
him. I think the business merged with another instrument shoppe. Goldie's
was the place to buy professional quality instruments of all sorts. I, of
course, was the direct opposite of a professional quality musician.

I have a recollection of Goldie's Music. Didn't know Goldie, but I think
remember the store.
This really has nothing to do with boats, so I'll drop the subject. I was
really commenting on jps's comments regarding Wal-Mart and US businesses in
general. My point was that I think the consumer is as much to blame (if
not
more so) for the abundance of cheap Chinese products on the market. There
is no way an American business with the expected payscales and benefit
packages can compete with anything built in China ... authorized or not.
But as long as people want them and buy them, they will continue to
dominate
the consumer goods market.
Tough problem, because it's far more difficult to take something away than
to have never given it in the first place.

To bring this back around to boats, I've heard that some trawler
clones are being built in China - good quality boats from what I
understand sold under various brands.

I know a local guy who had one custom built at some yard around
Shanghi - cost him a third of what a standard, say, Grand Banks would
have cost. He did have to purchase Volvo diesels and transmissions
because he didn't have a lot of faith in the Chinese diesels or
trannys.

I haven't seen the boat, but I have seen pictures - it looks like a
very high quality boat.

Reply:
Cheoy Lee Yachts has been in business since the 1800's. Nice boats. My
F-I-L had a Cheoy Lee Bermuda 32. Other than too much teak, was beautiful,
and great fit and finish.