Califbill Califbill is offline

Default Walmart, real convenience...

"HarryK" wrote in message
news
On 11/4/10 7:41 AM, John H wrote:
On Thu, 4 Nov 2010 01:33:35 -0400, wrote:

wrote in message

Walmart makes it easy to serve our overlord master Communists and kill
our fellow citizens with speed. What a handy program they've got
going.

Americans need a bloody wake up call. Not the Jeffersonian
bloodletting but the one that slaps idiots upside the head for
supporting American corporations that show no compassion for the
workers and country that gave them the platform to be successful, for
they speed the loss of our our ability to compete.

Although I agree with you in principle, I would also emphasize that the
change in attitude or policy must originate from the consumer. A
corporation (Wal-Mart in this case) is simply responding to consumer
demand. An example from my current interests:

At one time a Chicago based company called Harmony was the largest USA
manufacturer of guitars. They made Harmony, Kay, name branded models
for
Sears (under the "Silvertone" name) plus several more. Harmony was a
huge
and very successful company, building affordable instruments with the
major
US market share for sales.

Then, in the 70's, companies in Japan started building cheap copies of
Harmony type guitars.
Instead of being manufactured of solid wood, the back and sides of these
Japanese imports were built of cheaper to manufacture laminates.

Sticking to the true art of luthiery Harmony refused to switch to
laminate
guitars and their inferior tonal qualities. They tried to compete with
solid
wood guitars. By the end of the 1970's, Harmony was out of business and
their employees were out of jobs.

The consumer chose cheap.

Eisboch

I wonder why Harmony didn't come out with a cheap line, like Sears has
done with
its tools?

Are the more inexpensive guitars still made in Japan? I would think not,
since Japan no longer is among the lowest cost labor markets.

The PRC has an interesting attitude towards its managers of cheap labor:
build it as cheaply as possible, but if you skip too many steps, we'll
execute you.

Some of their bad managers emigrate, as this example of collusion
between Chinese managers and the government of Zambia illustrates:

Chinese Mine Managers Charged in Zambia Shootings to Go on Trial

Two Chinese mine managers in Zambia went on trial in November on
charges of shooting and wounding 13 miners at a coal mine in the
southern part of the country. Many Zambians are expressing disapproval
of President Rupiah Banda's administration for failing to take punitive
action against the managers, according to news reports on the Voice of
America

The shooting of Zambian miners by Chinese managers in October at the
Collum Mine has created tension among Zambian citizens, trade unions and
civil society.

Thirteen miners were seriously wounded as they and co-workers staged a
protest demanding better wages and working conditions at the
Chinese-operated coal mine. Lack of prompt action by the state following
the shooting incident brewed anger among Zambians.

Lusaka resident Hector Mwiinga said the stance taken by President
Rupiah Banda's administration would cost his party votes in next year's
polls.

"Let us not entertain the mediocre type of leadership Zambians have
suffered for so long under the poor leadership of President Rupiah
Banda," said Mwiinga. "We want leaders that will create conducive
environment for both the investors and the Zambian people."
Protest Barred

Following the incident, youths from the opposition Patriotic Front and
United Party for National Development were barred by police and embassy
authorities from presenting a petition to the Chinese ambassador to
Zambia. The petition asked the Chinese government to publicly apologize
for the shooting.

United Party for National Development youth chairperson Brain Hapunda
says the petition also appealed to the Chinese Embassy in Lusaka, to
summon all Chinese nationals and investors to a meeting where they would
be told how to operate within the confines of Zambian labor laws.

Some Zambians accused the government of siding with foreign investors
and Chinese in particular.

Mazabuka resident Stumbeko Sitwala said labor laws are implemented in
favor of Chinese investors. China has invested more than $400 million
in Zambia's mining industry, but workers, trade unions and opposition
political parties have criticized its methods.

"Zambia's law has been implemented selectively," said Mazabuka.

Another Lusaka resident, Justice Maumbi, called for fellow Zambians to
ensure that they stand up for their rights.

"We need to stand up and tell these people whether local or foreign
that we are human beings. We deserve to be treated like human beings,"
said Maumbi.
In 2005, five Zambians were shot and wounded by managers during pay
riots at the Chinese-owned Chambishi mine in Zambia's mining region of
Copper belt.

Did they get the guns at Wal-Mart?
(Just had to do it.)