Frogwatch[_2_] Frogwatch[_2_] is offline

Default Getting a pontoon boat to plane

On Nov 2, 10:49*pm, Wayne.B wrote:
On Tue, 02 Nov 2010 14:54:42 -0400, HarryK wrote:
On 11/2/10 2:45 PM, Wayne.B wrote:
On Tue, 2 Nov 2010 07:44:44 -0700 (PDT), Frogwatch
*wrote:

Those mods to the pontoons look interesting. *Now, if he went to a
larger engine and added planing strakes, could he expect better MPG or
just higher speed. (fuel flow meters ought to interface with impeller
knotmeters to get mpg).

If you increase speed without increasing horsepower, mileage will
improve.

Wayne...I think the guy has "tapped" out on performance with the engine
he now has.

That may be true but unless they try to get more of it out of the
water with lifting strakes or similar, they won't know for sure. *I'd
agree that more horsepower is probably easier and cheaper but it
certainly won't improve economy under most circumstances - only if it
is now operating "on the hump".

I believe his pontoons are not big enough for the weight so he should
weld planing strakes on the pontoons that are enclosed with extra
floatation. OR, he could resign himself to cruising at 7 kts to save
fuel.