Frank Maier

Default Advice about '68 Newport 30'?

Stephen Trapani wrote:
Hi, sorry to just drop in, but I think I can get a 1968 Newport 30' for
under $7000. ...snip...

People always talk about This Company's boats are poorly built or That
Company's boats are poorly built; but Newports are about the worst
built boat I've run across. Check the hull/deck joint for a prime
example of bad design exacerbated by cheap construction. On the good
side, the underlying (hull) design is by C&C, so they sail pretty
well.

That's not to say that you shouldn't buy it to have fun with; but
don't plan on it being safe for a blue-water-type experience. PHRF
fun? Sure, if the survey is good.

Good luck,

Frank