posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
Flying Pig[_2_] Flying Pig[_2_] is offline

Default mixing gas and oil questions

"Steve Lusardi" wrote in message
Skip,
I think we both speak English. I recommended up front to follow the
manufacturer's recommendation, they built the motor. However, lube oil
mixed with gasoline will lower the auto ignition point of the fuel and it
is a contributing risk factor for detonation. You obviously don't believe
me, so I invited you to do the research yourself.....you didn't. Instead,
you quoted a user manual and you are still talking trash from a point of
no knowledge. What is wrong with this picture?
Steve

Hi, Steve,

I'm not talking trash - I'm citing owner's manuals. If what the
manufacturer puts out as a requirement for warranty on the engine comes
across as trash, I'm sorry, but I can't be held responsible :{))

In any event, I don't do high performance, so doubling isn't needed from
that perspective. OTOH, in my 100-1 engine, avoiding starvation is of
greater concern, and a many-decades old service company has suggested that
I'm better safe than sorry - so I use the same mix in both units.

And, 18 years later, the 15 is still going strong, though nothing I know of
its history, nor my personal use in the last three years, suggests doubling
the oil other than on breakin...

L8R

Skip.

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

"Believe me, my young friend, there is *nothing*-absolutely nothing-half so
much worth doing as simply messing, messing-about-in-boats; messing about in
boats-or *with* boats.
In or out of 'em, it doesn't matter. Nothing seems really to matter, that's
the charm of it.
Whether you get away, or whether you don't; whether you arrive at your
destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never get
anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you never do anything in
particular; and when you've done it there's always something else to do, and
you can do it if you like, but you'd much better not."