Dennis Pogson

Default Supporting a boat by its mast.

beryl george wrote:
From other members of the news group thoughts and
experience am I missing something or is this something
that can be carried out providing there is care with
a reasonable degree of ease and safety.

The plan is to block of the foot of the keel and
secure ropes from the top of the mast out to the
sides at about 45 degrees to hold the boat upright
so the support pads on the wintering cradle can be
lowered to allow unhindered access to apply the
4 plus coats of epoxy coating to the under sides.

Or has anyone any other suggestions of a better
way to support the boat whilst it is epoxied.

The boat weight is around 10 ton with a 50 foot
plus mast and a moderate keel that is level bottom.

All thoughts very much appreciated I have not seen
or done or attempted any thing like this before.

How is this any different from the problems of antifouling the same boat?
You simply add supports and wedges adjacent to the existing pads then drop
the main support legs, paint over the pad areas, then wait for the epoxy to
dry and re-attach the main legs, dropping the other two temporary props. We
used to do this every spring on our Hustler 36, (with the mast still up).
The temporary supports need to be fairly sunstantial. Does no-one remember
life before the diesel-powered boat hoist?

Remove "nospam" from return address.