posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
ted@theted. ted@theted. is offline

Default mixing gas and oil questions

On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 18:48:09 +0200, "Steve Lusardi"
wrote:

Ted,
Adding lube oil to gasoline lowers the flash point of the fuel increasing the chance of detonation. Oil in the fuel is necessary
for these type of engines, but NEVER use more than the manufacturer's recommendation. Failure to follow this simple direction
could melt the pistons, the heads and effectively ruin the engine and I have seen this hundreds of times.

as yet i find it hard to believe that you've seen it happen at
all, much less hundreds of times. how much more oil are you
talking about?

I know this is counter intuitive,

to say the least.

hence the number of times this failure occurs.

can you provide any reason to believe that happens a lot, other
than your own unlikely sounding claim? i've never heard of it
happening at all, and if it were as common as you say it is it
seems it's one of those things mechanics would warn people about.

ted@theted. wrote in message ...
i have a jetski and a boat with an evinrude 115 hp outboard. can
they both use the same gas/oil mix? someone told me it should be
a pint to six gallons but i would rather mix a pint with 5
gallons because it's easier and to be on the safe side if that's
ok. is a pint to 5 gallons ok for both the jetski and the
evinrude?

thanks!

ted