Lloyd Sumpter

Default Solar panels - what's the measurement of shade tolerance

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 09:46:57 +0000, Steve wrote:

I believe the problem you discribe is common to most all commonly used panels.
Any shadow across the cells will cut off or diminish the output of the cells in
that region.

Yes, even a rigging or halyard can effect the output.. The whole problem stems
for the fract that the cells or groups of cells are wired in series and if you
have reduced output from one cell the remainder in that group will be effected..

That's why I've never mounted mine. It's just a loose panel, so I'm free to
place it wherever there is max sun and min shade. Takes a little "hands-on", but
works good. (and haven't lost it overboard in 5 years!)

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36