bert

Default Solar panels - what's the measurement of shade tolerance

So how do I know which ones to buy ?

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 16:46:22 -0500, "Doug Dotson"
wrote:

That's old technology. The newer panels are not nearly as
sensitive to minor partial shading. I've never seen any specs
that describe this affect in a quantitative manner.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Steve" wrote in message
I believe the problem you discribe is common to most all commonly used
panels. Any shadow across the cells will cut off or diminish the output of
the cells in that region.

Yes, even a rigging or halyard can effect the output.. The whole problem
stems for the fract that the cells or groups of cells are wired in series
and if you have reduced output from one cell the remainder in that group
will be effected..

Kinda like having a bad NiCad cell in a battery pack or a bad cell in a

lead
acid battery..

I have been using a pair of Solrex VLX 53s for ten years and I just learn
to live with this problem. On my current boat I have them on my radar arch
and that seems to have eleminated most of the shadow problem. However, now
that I have added a wind generator, I now have problem with the prop

casting
a shadow on the panels.. Not to bad if it is spinning.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions