Flying Pig[_2_] Flying Pig[_2_] is offline

Default Saquatch puts his foot down ISO Pace-Edwards Mast Steps

Greetings...

A followup to Wilbur's demand that I get a "real" mast step (that is, if I
was going to defile my boat with them at all). I'd said:

Yes, my feet are bigger than most - 14s - and the P-E steps are wider and
fatter (front to back) than any other I've seen. Literally no other step
I've seen has the footprint these do.

Those lovely stainless steps look to have one attachment point each top
and bottom. The P-Es have either 2 or three (I'd have to dig the one I
have out to remember for sure) - and at 200# I like that better.

Yesterday I had the opportunity to *try* (emphasis added) to put my foot
into one of those lovely stainless steps with the (presumed) teak inserts.
As a conciliatory measure, I note and admit that they have 3 (relatively, of
course, as it's only about 1.5" wide) closely-spaced screws at top and
bottom. Being right in front of one improves the vision over a tiny URL
picture!

However, my shoe missed by a good full inch being able to get in the space
between the mast and the outside of the step. Perhaps, if I'd been able to
angle my leg out to the angle presented by the outer edge of the step, I
might have been able to wedge it in - but, even assuming I could, that would
make for unsage climbing, IMO. Further, being that lovely SS, it could be
thin for the required strength. If it didn't cut my hands on a violent
pitch by the boat, it surely would cut my ankles or whatever else happened
to ram into the edges.

So, my search for Pace-Edwards mast steps, with the lovely thick
construction and rounded edges on the support, and the wide and deep
footprint, continues unrequited. I really only need one...

L8R

Skip

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain