Jim Jim is offline

Default Health Care Enrollment - Looks good

Jack wrote:
On Oct 7, 7:34 pm, Jim wrote:
Just did a once-over on the docs for 2011 enrollment that came in the
mail, and a provider lookup.
Looks like my premiums are about the same as for 2010.

Looks like "Obamacare" caused my employer (large multi-national) to
squeeze out the HMO and probably keep the PPO price in check.
Figures, since they're paying 50% and have negotiating clout.

Jim - hehe.

Count yourself as very lucky. Those of us that work at much smaller
companies saw increases in the 150 - 200% range. Efforts to reel that
in included concessions like doubling of deductibles and max out-of-
pockets amounts that range in the $2000-3000 ballpark.

Obamacare is VERY expensive for the majority of Americans.

Jack - not laughing

We'll see. For me the premium increase is minor, considering there is
now no dollar limit to coverage.
Googling seems to indicate the *average* premium increase is estimated
at 8-12%. Seems in line with my "potential" increase.
I say "potential" because the info I received only shows "employee" and
"family" whereas I've previously had "employee + 1."
If that category still exists my premiums might actually be less.
For now we only have anecdotes like yours and mine.
The real *average* won't be known for a few months.
When health care is a crap shoot some roll snake eyes.

Your only options are to go to work where health insurance premiums are
cheaper, or work politically to overturn "Obamacare."
Health care is less "free market" than even auto insurance or cable TV.
They have you by the balls.
"Obamacare" or not, premiums will rise to cover ER visits by the uninsured.
The real answers to the problem are obvious, and have been for years.
Redesign the health care system to a model used by one of the other
developed countries which cover all and do it better and cheaper.
But America is backward, riddled with special interests buying pols, and
a limited class of voters.

What's needed is to break the physician, hospital, medical supply, drug
supply and insurance company unions, like Reagan did with PATCO.
But those unions have bought off the Dem and Rep pols, so it will be tough.
Ultimately that's the only way to make health care affordable for all.
The bleeding heart lefties have convinced way too many people that
nobody should die of cancer at 35 because they can't pay for care, or
lose their house and end up on the streets when they need a stint to
survive.
Go figure.
But there might still be a chance to overturn "Obamacare" and go back to
what we had before though. We'll see.

Jim - Playing the health care hand I was dealt.