Rosalie B.

Default Anyone know a good online sailmaker?

x-no-archive:yes

"Dimitri Rotow" wrote:

I got a good deal on a new full batten mainsail from a sail broker.

Bacon Sails http://www.baconsails.com/

They specialize in used sails but also have some new sails on consignment
from some sail lofts.

After searching the web I ran across three sailmakers in Hong Kong:

Lee Sails (http://www3.leesails.com/) ... I've heard of them as an OEM
supplier.

Hong Kong Sailmakers (http://www.hksailmakers.com/) ... a really
comprehensive site.

Sails East (http://www.sailseast.com/)

Anybody have experience dealing with the above?

Dimitri

Someone in our group quoted the following:

Over the course of four months I sent out 10 sets of basic specs and
received quotes from Calvert, Mack, Atlantic Sailtraders and
Supersailmakers in the US and Lee and Hong Kong overseas. The quotes
ranged from $7.5K to $10.5K. Sails ordered direct from overseas firms
are subject to about $1K in shipping, duty, and customs agent fees and
may require finishing full batten construction in the US. After
including all costs for equal sails the least expensive overseas sails
from Hong Kong were only about $1.2K less than Supersailmakers with a
slow season and commercial discount.

grandma Rosalie