Matt Colie

Default Gasoline pumped to diesel tank.....

Ytter,

I have known of several gasoline in diesel engine situations.
I hope it did not actually happen that way. They seldom come out well.

After reading the entire thread - including your additions - I think you
may well have more that one problem - now. My personal bet (without any
actual contact) based on some experience, would be that the cylinder
head gasket got taken out. That will cause both the over heat problem,
the smoke and the bad running. I am somewhat surprized that the
mechanic did not have the cylinder head off.

Though I suspect your statement that the engine was red hot is an
exageration, if it got hot enough to blister the paint. You can count
on the engine requiring serious work before it is dependable again.
This will be as much as reboring the cylinders to get them round again
and doing a valve job because the seats are distorted.

If the engine is not easy to work on where it is, I suggest you
seriously consider getting it removed as that time required for the
minimum amount of work the engine is likely to require.

I leave you by saying that I sincerely hope that I am completely wrong.

Matt Colie
Lifelong Waterman, Licensed Mariner and Perpetual Sailor

Ytter wrote:
Engsol! Engine would start-run for 3-4 sec and die,then I started again
after I checked thermostat-was OK,changed oil and filter. I pushed the
throttle almost to the max, black smoke, muddy, greasy, heavy smoke came out
with some water-engine run for 2 min and continue spiting this black water
and stopped abruptly,cut like a knife-mechanic was present when we did that
and said that he doesn't know what is wrong.He has spent 2 hours checking
what was wrong and left me without answer. Of course took the money for
trying.
Ytter
"engsol" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 15:28:58 -0800, "Ytter"

wrote:

Hi! I need your expertise or opinion.
I have diesel engine Volvo Penta MD3 on my sailboat .Just after refueling

in one of the marina(in 10 minutes) engine reached temp 280 F
I had to run the engine for another 8-10 minutes to drop the anchor and I
shut off the engine which was red hot.I suspect that they pumped 20 gal
gasoline instead of diesel.Capacity of the tank is 40 gal.I still have

this fuel in the tank.How can I check if gasoline is in the tank,mixed with
diesel ? Is it any method,way to analyze or find out.Maybe I should find

the lab or place that can be determine what this fuel consists.
If they pumped the gasoline accidentally or not the engine is probably
damaged. Thank You For Your Help.
Ytter