Rick Morel

Default Marinas--Are we getting soft??

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 10:52:45 -0800, "Steve" wrote:

The recent post about cost of moorings or slips got me to thinking back a
few years.

The first yacht club I belonged to in the early '60 was $30 mo. membership
and $.25/ft/mo. for slip rent, in San Diego.

Then I get to think about the most practical and least expensive marina and
that would have to be in Middletown RI, the old Stone Bridge Marina..
Cost, in 1972 dollars, was $35/mo for a 35ft slip.

From the bottom coast (Gulf of Mexico)... About 1972 or 73 everyone
was complaining because the Parish (county) Marina went up from $50 a
_year_ for a slip, any length, to $75 a year. Today it's up to $900 a
year. 12 times as much, with the inflation index at 4.11. Still a
bargain these days at $75 a month. Electricity and water is separate -
one has to have them turned on, just like at a house. The only other
local marina charges $50 a month, including electricity and water, and
$100 a month for a covered shed for the powerboat crowd. An additional
$50 a month for live-aboard to cover the usual extra electricity
charges.

Back in '73 in NW Florida, lots of empty land to dinghy into, $0.05 to
$0.10 a ft for transient at the big marinas, "A couple weeks? Give me
$5 and talk to me if you stay longer." at the little ones behind gas
stations, stores and stuff. No idea of monthly charges. Today, $0.75
to $1.50 a ft plus a whole heard of "hidden" charges, such as $8.75 a
day for electricity, $3.95 for water, $10 for "underwater land lease",
etc. IOW, at least double the quoted price. Oh yeah, and wall to wall
condos, houses, camps and businesses.

Ahhhhhhhhh, for the good ol' days! :-)

Rick

S/V Final Step