Secular Humoresque[_2_] Secular Humoresque[_2_] is offline

Default For my next construction project...

In article ,
says...

On 10/1/10 1:17 PM,
wrote:
On Fri, 01 Oct 2010 12:21:07 -0400, Secular Humoresque
wrote:

I'm thinking of building a new deck, approximately 15' x 25',
approximately 9' above grade.

I have no concerns about structure; I know what to do about that.

I'm considering using the newer "composite lumber" (Trex is one brand
name) for decking, rails, balusters, stairs, et cetera...you know, the
stuff that shows. I'm wondering how well it resists weathering, rot,
checking, splitting, whether it needs any maintenance aside from a good
washing, et cetera.

The last time I built a deck, I used cedar over pressure treated
supports. The cedar was fine, but it did require a coat of transparent
stain every season.

Experiences with "trex" or other similar products?

Thanks.

We have a couple of docks here decked with trex. They are doing fine.
Just watch your spans. It is not as rigid as wood. Use wood for the
structural parts. The supplier will have a span chart for the decking.

I'll be using 2x12's on 12" centers for the joists. Deck will support a
45 PSF live load. I'll be using Lowe's "Top Choice Structural Treated"
lumber for structure.

snerk good luck!