Steve

Default Marinas--Are we getting soft??

Remember, this was 30 years ago and a davits/dingy on the stern was not all
that common. Also this was a mix of commercial fishing and pleasure boats
(more commercial than pleasure). And even the pleasure boats were of the
'rough & ready' type.. Not to worry about slim on deck..

I think backing in was more of a custom since the fishinb boats had to get
there pots and gear on and off from the stern.. I didn't happen to have a
bowsprit on this boat but that would be another good reason to back in since
a bowsprit is worse than "walking the plank" when trying to pass the lines
to the dock and too climb on and off..

Another advantage to this type of mooring that I now remember, was the lack
of ice hazards when your boat is away from the dock. It just doesn't tend to
jam like it does with floating docks.

Given the choice and comparable fees in todays dollars, I would go for this
type of moorage since I just don't need all that convenience for my winter
moorage.. During summer, I'm off sailing or at anchor.. As a matter of fact,
if I could get good deal on a protected dingy dock, close to an all weather
anchorage, I would anchor all winter as well..

--
My opinion and experience. FWIW

Steve
s/v Good Intentions