JimB

Default Ropes and Docking

Rosalie B. wrote in message
news
x-no-archive:yes
A plank, laid over your fenders (Bumpers?), which takes all

the
chafe against the Quay (Dock?) wall or piles.

OK is that tied to the fenders or to the dock, or how is it

attached?

Tied to rail/guard wire so it hangs over a bunch of fenders.

I've seen a thing that someone made up which was a section of

PVC pipe
on a lines attached with swivels which you suspend outside the

fenders
which rolls up and down the fenders along the wall. It seems

like a
good idea to me and I think Bob made one up, but I don't know

that
we've ever used it.

Same idea.

We have what Bob calls a fender board with metal insets

lengthwise
with little rubber half rounds on the inside which I guess is

your
griping board. We use it mostly when the place on the dock is
restricted to bearing point so that we could be sure that the

fenders
would hold us away from the dock.

Yes, same thing. I'm just using the the fenders to do the job of
your half rounds. Also my board is multi-functional - with bits
of shock cord and rope attached to suitable points it turns into
a poor man's passarelle.

This guy was quite annoyed to be expected to tie a knot. Bob

always
checks and says that most dock people can't tie a proper knot

or cleat
off properly

Each of us has our favourite knot or cleating method. As long as
they work; OK. Some people swear by bowlines, but they can't be
untied (or tied) under strain. Others prefer round turn and two
half hitches. Some like to cleat with one round turn, one figure
of eight and one locking hitch. Others (me included, very much a
minority) never use locking hitches, since they sometimes slip
and jam making them hard to cast off quickly. Others use heaps of
locking hitches. Yuk.

(and he also says that I always do it wrong. But
although I do have trouble with getting the second loop on the

cleat
going the right direction, I can do it if I'm not too fussed).

In my opinion, not wrong, but differently from his style.

Not preparing ropes before docking
Ah, but it's great entertainment, a tremendous recipe for

passing
the dock rope *over* the rail by mistake, then scrambling to
re-tie the lot, dropping it into the sea just as the skipper
gives a great burst of reverse. That loud shriek of rope over
stainless, and the sudden engine silence, the shocked faces -
eyebrows shooting skyward, the sudden loud voices.

Yes - we were at a dock in Georgia (US) where a shrimp boat had
apparently run out of fuel, and another boat was towing them in

on the
hip to a fuel dock. The first line they threw wasn't attached

to the
boat at all. When the dockmaster threw it back, they couldn't

catch
it. They got 200 gallons which was as high as the pump went.

Sometimes he waits until we leave to arrange the lines that way

for
casting off. But he always checks on the dock workers knots

and
cleatings of the lines and fixes them over again as soon as we

tie up.

Sounds like Bob's as paranoid as I am.

Greek Mooring
I've always wondered how that worked, but been glad I didn't

have to
find out. Before we bought this boat, we chartered twice in

the
Virgin Islands with a skipper, and I was glad I was with

someone who
knew what they were doing. I'd love to go to Greece sometime -

I've
never been.

Well, If I don't sell Rapaz this season . . .

JimB
Yacht Rapaz, sadly for sale, to help pay for that lovely Greek
seaside house we've just bought.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jim.bae...cification.htm
jim(dot)baerselman(at)ntlworld(dot)com