Leanne

Default I've got water in my engine oil....

"MLapla4120" wrote in message
Hey,
Some seawater is in my newly re-built MDIIB diesel (volvo),

what do I do?
I changed the oil five times and the filter twice. Runs great

otherwise.

Remove the water pump and check the O-ring shaft seals. Also if
you engine was repainted, make sure the weep holes on the shaft
housing are clear. We had the same problem on the MD-11 we used
to have. They had filled the weep holes with paint and when the
seal blew out, the water could not go out the weep holes so it
was pumped right by the rear seal and into the bottom end of the
engine. I was told by a Danish cruiser that this was a common
problem. When it happened again in two years, for another reason,
we replaced it with a 3GM-30F Yanmar. More power and less weight
and I don't worry about the engine filling up with seawater. The
cost of parts for that old engine, if you can find them, must be
made of gold and platinum. I still have cylinders, heads, MS-7
gearbox, starter, alternator, and a few misc other parts if
anyone wants to come to South Carolina and haul them off.

Leanne
s/v Fundy