posted to rec.boats.building
Steve Lusardi Steve Lusardi is offline

Default Jet Outboard Steering

You are correct Bob. I didn't answer that question because I don't know the answer. I don't use cable systems except for engine
controls. I do not know how relevant that experience is to steering systems, but I can tell you that friction is the killer in
control systems. Manufacturers do not recommend any lubrication as lubricants cause swelling of the liner tube. I hate
cable....anything else is better.

On your hydraulic experiences, seal failures should not occur and certainly not at the frequency you state. Seal failures point to
a system being used beyond its design envelope. Like I said, do your own numbers. Manufacturers make their profit from selling
hulls, not accessories. Accessories are, to them, a necessary evil because they represent a cost item. They are always cheap
acquisitions, often undersize and made from less than optimum material. Just because the damn thing came from the manufacturer
does NOT give it credence in use.
Steve

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message ...
"WaIIy" wrote in message ...
On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 19:52:26 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

Ugh! Cable bad! Juice good!

Steve. I know properly working hydraulics are superior to cable steering,
but seriously. Is it an overriding must have or you will die when not
dealing with side torque? Especially if you already have a complete
perfectly working dual cable steering system.

You are the one that asked the question.

I didn't ask if hydraulic steering was superior to cable steering. I asked if there was any reason other than side torque not
to use a perfectly functional cable steering system already in hand. He did not answer that question.

Quit being such a dickhead.

But he didn't answer the question I asked, and made some statements that are not 100% correct. While most were not majorly
incorrect they still really didn't answer the question asked. He just gave the kneejerk slap of superiority at it and made an
absolute statement that didn't really apply to the question.

Further, he never followed up with what other maintenance cable steering systems might need that would cost more to maintain
than hydraulic systems in his further reply.

Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az