Mark

Default Any tax advantages to living aboard in California?

wrote:
Hi,
I'm new to living aboard on my sailboat and it's tax time so I was
wondering if there were any tax advantages.

Yes, at least in SoCal you can fill out a boat primary residence form
and get about a 25% cut in your annual personal property taxes, levied
by the County.

If you try to dodge the entire tax, they'll come after you. Seen a
few boats chained to the dock by the County Sheriff. The problem is
once you pay the tax in any one County, you are stuck paying that
County until you show a receipt you paid another County.

It's doable, Document your boat so the DMV doesn't know where you are,
and keep moving, especially from County to County. With California's
budget woes, maybe the heat's a little less now. Knew one guy who
pulled it off for three years on a $600,000 boat, saved a bundle. Had
it documented in New Jersey. But there were some close calls
(midnight boat moves).