posted to rec.boats.building
Steve Lusardi Steve Lusardi is offline

Default Jet Outboard Steering

If you ever used a PROPERLY installed hydraulic system, you would never use a cable system again. It is easy to make mistakes so
you must do your arithmetic before you buy the parts. In the end, the cost difference is minimal. your assumption of similar
maintenance between hydraulic and cable is flat wrong. There is much less maintenance on hydraulic systems. In fact, if designed
and installed correctly there is No maintenance, just occasional inspection.
Steve

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message ...
As I'm sure you are aware in a lot of bigger outboard applications it can be really hard to turn the wheel under high throttle
due to side torque. Its why a lot of (most?) bigger bass boats have hydraulic steering. Any reason you can see not to go with
dual cable push pull steering on with a jet lower unit? Obviously push pull cables require maintenance, but so do hydraulic
systems.

I'm probably going to wrap up the weld & rebuild on The Tin Can Too in the next couple months and I have a bigger project in
mind. I already have a decent push pull system laying around from another boat I cut up and threw in the dumpster a piece at a
time.